MazdaChat

Go Back   MazdaChat > Coffee Shop > Off topic
Register Forgot Password

Off topic Just be sure to keep it family friendly. And No personal attacks!

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2008   #1
hobie237

Default To PhD or not to PhD, that is the question...

What say you, should I stick around another 3 years after I get done my masters (one year from now)? Or just head out into the world?

Miata.net is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
If you prefer to keep blocking ads, please consider becoming a Supporting Member.
We do not display ads to Supporting Members.
Turn off these ads?
Old 24th April 2008   #2
Bob Hill

Well I have a PhD so obviously I am all for education. If though, you can swing working fulltime and going to school I would suggest doing it that way. It is tough but it can be done - BTDT.

When I looking to hire new employees, if someone has a PhD but no real work experience I won't hire them because they are unproven in the work force. Just something to think about.
Old 24th April 2008   #3
swivel

Well that depends on what your specific goals are.

Personally, after finishing my bachelors I was sick of academia and how insulated it is from anything resembling the real world. Of course I'm now working as a college staff member -- which just proves to reinforce my previous opinion.

Do you view academics as a means to end, or an end in itself?
If you enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and whatnot, then staying for your doctorate makes sense.
If you're using education as a way to gain a better position in the market place, then you should make the economic calculation of: Is there more of an opportunity cost to staying in school vs. getting out there?

Those are just some general guidelines and the way I think about it. I found that what helps me is having a 5 year plan. I know that might sounds dumb, but it works for me. Figure out where you want to be/what you want to be doing in the next 1,2,&5 years and do what is necessary to make that happen. I have found that without goals or direction, I tend to get nowhere with anything and end up with a deficit of motivation.
Old 24th April 2008   #4
hobie237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hill View Post
Well I have a PhD so obviously I am all for education. If though, you can swing working fulltime and going to school I would suggest doing it that way. It is tough but it can be done - BTDT.

When I looking to hire new employees, if someone has a PhD but no real work experience I won't hire them because they are unproven in the work force. Just something to think about.
Thanks for the tip, Bob!

I hadn't thought about doing full-time work as well as more school, I was thinking part-time work/school as I'm doing now. The great thing about the program that I'm in is that the school places us where we get meaningful experience- for instance, I'm doing my Master of Public Administration and working through a contracting agency doing land use planning work for towns, counties, and I'm even doing work for the state at the moment.

As for when I get done school- I'm seriously considering teaching/professing. I really want to go into business for myself (in the automotive field, totally unrelated to anything I've studied in school) and I need something that'll allow me flexible hours, and, ideally, the summer off, while providing decent benefits and paying the bills.

Edit- answered Swivel's questions without even reading his post. Wow. I should just quit school and take a job at a psychic hotline.
Old 24th April 2008   #5
Bob Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie237 View Post
Edit- answered Swivel's questions without even reading his post. Wow. I should just quit school and take a job at a psychic hotline.
No had you been a real psychic you would have known he was going to answer the question the way he did.
Old 26th June 2008   #6
transam kid 01

If you are going to be a professor, get the PhD. Otherwise, look at your field and see the acceptance and pay rate of people (in the demographic you belong to) with a masters and then a PhD. This may help your decision.

You can also try talking to your adviser or even someone in the field you are interested in.
Old 26th June 2008   #7
hobie237

The thing of it is, in my field, you either go in with a bachelor's or a master's, or you get a PhD and profess about the field, there aren't a whole lot of people with PhDs working, just because it's not really necessary.

I wouldn't mind professing as a career, but I don't know if I could stand the academic politics and whatnot.

So I will continue to get second and third opinions and stew over it until the last possible day to make a decision.

Nice RX-8, by the way.
Old 26th June 2008   #8
transam kid 01

Thank you

If it's not necessary and the compensation is negligible (PhD), then stick with your masters. If you plan on becoming a professor later on in life, then it may be a good investment to do it now, rather than attempting to do it later.
Old 2nd July 2008   #9
hobie237

Yeah, the real kick is how sweet of a semi-retirement gig professing would be down the line- no interest in doing so now.

I did just get word that a new job might open up for me 6-9 months down the line, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out, since it's something I'd really like to do.

Oh well, back to stewing over it.