MazdaChat

Go Back   MazdaChat > Coffee Shop > Off topic
Register Forgot Password

Off topic Just be sure to keep it family friendly. And No personal attacks!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2008   #1
1AB JAG

Default Mazda Fest @ PIR?

There is a rumor around that the weekend originally scheduled for the now defunct Champ Car race at Portland International Raceway will have an "All Things Mazda" event. I see that 2 Star Mazda and a MX-5 Pro cup race are scheduled. Does anyone have any further info about this event? I would appreciate it and would like to start spreading the word!

Thanks,

John

Miata.net is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
If you prefer to keep blocking ads, please consider becoming a Supporting Member.
We do not display ads to Supporting Members.
Turn off these ads?
Old 4th April 2008   #2
Gary J Fischman
Zookeeper

Don't know about it. Anyone?
Mazda-speed.com
Old 7th April 2008   #3
AngryRedTicTac

I hadn't heard about it, but I am certainly interested! Maybe Corksport might have some idea, I'll talk to Derrick and see what he knows.
Old 7th April 2008   #4
1AB JAG

So, my Bro passed this on to me if anyone is interested:

Mazda North American Operations and Forever MX5 Announce Mazda Grand Prix of Portland

Three Day Racing Event to Feature Star Mazda and Playboy MX-5 Cup

Redmond, Wash. (PR WEB) March 18, 2008 – Mark your calendar now to join Forever MX-5 and Mazda North American Operations on July 26th & 27th in Portland, Oregon. While you may have heard that the demise of Champ Car meant the traditional Grand Prix of Portland would not happen in 2008, think again.

"The Grand Prix of Portland is important enough that Mazda felt the need to step up and help make the 25th anniversary race happen. We'll be bringing a Star Mazda doubleheader, a round of the Playboy MX-5 Cup and other races and motorsports activities that the Northwest race fans will enjoy. We have a lot of work ahead, but the team of Mazda and the Portland International Raceway are committed to making it happen," says Jim Jordan, Marketing Manager, Mazda North American Operations

With the combined efforts of Portland International Raceway, Mazda North American Operations, Forever MX-5 magazine, and others who will no doubt join us, the race will go on, but with a different flavor. Think younger and more grassroots, like us!

Among the many activities planned will be special car corrals for Mazda clubs and public street-legal drag racing in the evening. Forever MX-5 will have a substantial presence at this event.

“We’re pleased and excited to be coming to the famed Portland International Raceway as a headliner race for the big weekend in July,” says Gary Rodrigues, President of the Star Mazda Championship presented by Goodyear. “Fans will get to see two exciting Star Mazda races, one on Saturday and another on Sunday. With standing starts, new to the Star Mazda series this year, I guarantee both events will be packed with tight, close, aggressive racing among a big field of the hottest young open-wheel talent from the U.S., Canada, Europe and South America. This is a tremendous opportunity for our rising stars to shine, and you can bet they’ll make the most of it.”
Old 8th April 2008   #5
1AB JAG

I have also heard that there could be some street legal drag racing (at night). So it sounds like there could be a wide variety of activities at this event, a little something for everyone I guess.

Now if I only knew where to buy tickets.....
Old 9th April 2008   #6
1AB JAG

Default Now Posted on PIR Website

Mazda Grand Prix of Portland Champ Car is history, but the July 25-27 weekend will still be a must-see event for fans of road racing. A Star Mazda Double-header, the Mazda MX-5 Cup cars and the VW TDI Cup series all will be coming to PIR as part of Northwest Speed Week. We are looking forward to a week of racing including bicycles, drags, motocross, motorcycles, drifting, a time attack and the three pro series. Look for more information soon.
Old 2nd June 2008   #7
1AB JAG

Default Latest News on "Mazda Fest" from FOPIR

Wanted to share this from "Friends of PIR":

"Turning kaka into candy
Mark Wigginton/PIR

PIR is exited about the announcement last week of the Mazda Grand Prix of Portland (July 25-27) in July. What started as a weekend for Champ Car was suddenly empty when Champ Car declared bankruptcy (don't let the "merger" word fool you). The empty dates called for a little creativity, and with the help of Jim Jordan of Mazda, we think we have a fun weekend planned.

As Champ Car went "poof" there were lots of support series suddenly without places to race. Mazda, being the dominant competitor up and down the motorsports ladder, was especially hard hit. Atlantics, Star Mazda and MX-5 Cup were all supposed to be part of the Champ Car weekend.

From that problem, the Mazda Grand Prix of Portland was created. The question: could we put on a fun, successful event without a headliner? Can you have a circus without the lions? After some head scratching, we decided, heck yes we can, especially if we make it a three ring circus of motorsports. Or to update the tortured metaphor, as Jim Jordan did here; it's going to be the Mosh Pit of Motorsports. And PIR is the perfect place to try the concept.

So, the Mazda Grand Prix of Portland is also Northwest Speed Week, and we will be showcasing a whole range of different kinds of racing under that banner. The weekend will feature a Star Mazda double header, the Playboy MX-5 Cup, a Spec Miata double header and the Northwest premier of the VW Jetta TDI Cup, plus bicycle racing, a foot race, motocross, drag racing, drifting, motorcycle road racing, a cruise-in, car corrals and a time attack. We are also planning a Motathalon (essentially a relay race with laps in car, then on bike, then a footrace sprint to the finish).

The Mazda Grand Prix of Portland event is really a throwback to the days when there weren't any big national series, when most racing was semi-pro and close racing was the star, not corporate sponsors. Look for cheap tickets, open grandstand seating and easy access to the competitors and their steeds. Look for a full week of great racing. Look back to the future."

I hope to see a lot of fellow Mazda and other car fanatics there!

John
Old 2nd June 2008   #8
hobie237

How come stuff like this happens on the other side of the country?
Old 15th June 2008   #9
1AB JAG

Default I also posted this on the Miata forum:

Mazda Grand Prix of Portland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mazda has stepped up to offer race fans something to fill the void left by the cancellation of the Champ Car race at PIR. This looks to me like it could be really fun. A whole weekend of racing, beer and Playboy Bunnies.

Here's the link http://www.mazdagrandprix.com/
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
Old 31st July 2008   #10
1AB JAG

I went...had a good time. Did anyone other than Miata owners go? And if so, what was your impression of the event?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07272008 266.jpg (73.9 KB, 9 views)