MazdaChat

Go Back   MazdaChat > Coffee Shop > Off topic
Register Forgot Password

Off topic Just be sure to keep it family friendly. And No personal attacks!

Closed Thread

Old 14th April 2008   #1
hobie237

Default Help with my vehicular reorganization

Ok, I've got a fair number of cars around. I'm looking to rearrange them to maximize my utility and minimize duplication.

Keep in mind that I walk/bike to work, so I don't need a "commuter" type car. My driving is to the store every once in a while, to vacation, or just tooling around for fun.

Currently have:
1990 A package Miata (red)
1990 Base model Miata (blue, turbo)
1995 S-10 (4-cyl, 2wd, automatic)
1986 Mercedes 190D (veggie mobile)
1979 Porsche 911SC (restoration project, although it runs and drives pretty well)

I'd like to:
-Sell off the A-package Miata, S-10 and 911
-Buy another work truck, racer and some other piece of lower/middle order exotica

Which would leave me:
-1990 base model blue turbo Miata- fun car with a low cost of ownership that I can drive, tinker with and use regularly
-1985-1995 Chevy half-ton pickup, regular cab- must have 4wd and 350cid- for snow, towing other vehicles (such as the Miata to a track, etc), hauling duties, driven infrequently so fuel economy is irrelevant, and parts are cheap for those old Chevies
-1986 Mercedes 190D- veggie mobile for infinite fuel economy, it's cool, and I can take four people places
-Older Formula Ford or similar racer, a true weekend toy. They can be had for only a couple thousand dollars and some elbow grease that I'd love to put in.
-The real kicker- some form of garage-queen lower-middle order exotica. As fun as the 911 is, and as cool as it is, I'm considering selling it off. The reason behind this is the fact that the prices on low-mileage used Elise/Exige models keep dropping, and it looks like I'll have the money to cover it when I finish my masters in a year.

With this setup, I'd really have no desire whatsoever to purchase any other cars. Ever.

So what say you all?

Miata.net is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
If you prefer to keep blocking ads, please consider becoming a Supporting Member.
We do not display ads to Supporting Members.
Turn off these ads?
Old 15th April 2008   #2
Gary J Fischman
Zookeeper

You have enough spare time on your hands that your newest car can be 13 years old?
Mazda-speed.com
Old 15th April 2008   #3
Bob Hill

Or sell all but your most needed two and throw all that money you would spend on a car into a house and/or savings. Yea, I know people hate me when I say that but at your age, you have a real chance to build some wealth and buying cars will hinder that.

If you sacrifice at a young age you will be more likely to buy whatever you want at an older age.

Just my $0.02
Old 15th April 2008   #4
hobie237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J Fischman View Post
You have enough spare time on your hands that your newest car can be 13 years old?

I live two blocks from work, I'm moving this summer and I'll be slightly farther, but still under a mile, so I'll ride a bike. My new digs will be closer to the grocery store, though, so I can (and will) bike there. Driving for work is covered by their cars, not mine (so that I can prove that any car is fast when it's a rental/company car). So really, I'm only driving a few miles a week, and I can guarantee that at least ONE car will be in "needs nothing" condition at any given time.

I'm also fortunate enough to have a good friend who bought a garage recently (it even came with a house attached, and yards!!!) who welcomed my piles upon piles of tools. What's really great is that my girlfriend and his fiance are really good friends, too, so we leave the girls inside with the dog, and disappear into the garage for a Saturday or two. Our cars are VERY well maintained.
Old 15th April 2008   #5
hobie237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hill View Post
Or sell all but your most needed two and throw all that money you would spend on a car into a house and/or savings. Yea, I know people hate me when I say that but at your age, you have a real chance to build some wealth and buying cars will hinder that.

If you sacrifice at a young age you will be more likely to buy whatever you want at an older age.

Just my $0.02
Really, it's good advice- that's why I already followed it. I've got a sizable sum of money socked away in various investments, and I don't buy expensive cars- my most expensive purchase here was the 911 a few years back, at $6500 (screamin' deal at auction). I've got less money tied up in ALL of my cars than most people my age have in ONE car.

In fact, this reorganization will likely come out with some money in my pocket, excepting some form of lower-middle order exotica which I won't buy until I finish my masters and get the associated pay increase/better job.

The fact that I may move (perhaps far) when I finish my masters to get a better job is about the only reason I haven't bought or looked seriously into buying a house here. I figure I'd have to unload it in a hurry to move, something that wouldn't necessarily be easy in today's market, and I'd have to take a hit in the associated fees of buying/selling, so it'd likely be a heavily money-losing proposition.

Bob, you're absolutely right that it's never too early to start saving for a house, retirement, whatever- and I wholeheartedly agree. I've just managed to get myself into a somewhat unique automotive situation here, due to the unique combination of my tastes, the money I've made, and my uses of my cars.
Old 15th April 2008   #6
swivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie237 View Post
Which would leave me:
-1990 base model blue turbo Miata- fun car with a low cost of ownership that I can drive, tinker with and use regularly
-1985-1995 Chevy half-ton pickup, regular cab- must have 4wd and 350cid- for snow, towing other vehicles (such as the Miata to a track, etc), hauling duties, driven infrequently so fuel economy is irrelevant, and parts are cheap for those old Chevies
-1986 Mercedes 190D- veggie mobile for infinite fuel economy, it's cool, and I can take four people places
-Older Formula Ford or similar racer, a true weekend toy. They can be had for only a couple thousand dollars and some elbow grease that I'd love to put in.
-The real kicker- some form of garage-queen lower-middle order exotica. As fun as the 911 is, and as cool as it is, I'm considering selling it off. The reason behind this is the fact that the prices on low-mileage used Elise/Exige models keep dropping, and it looks like I'll have the money to cover it when I finish my masters in a year.
I think that sounds like an amazing fleet. Although I have to ask -- wouldn't an Elise sort of overlap a bit with the miata? Open air, 2 seater, excellent handling.... I realize they are different beasts, but if you're only driving for pleasure, I don't know it seems a little redundant to me.
Old 15th April 2008   #7
hobie237

Quote:
Originally Posted by swivel View Post
I think that sounds like an amazing fleet. Although I have to ask -- wouldn't an Elise sort of overlap a bit with the miata? Open air, 2 seater, excellent handling.... I realize they are different beasts, but if you're only driving for pleasure, I don't know it seems a little redundant to me.
No more redundant than the 911 already is. If I were to overlap, I'd be looking toward Boxters or used Caymans in a few years, but with the Miata as a fun car to drive under "normal" circumstances, I can go with the more spartan Lotus. The Miata's low operating cost means that I can just drive it and drive it and drive it, whereas the Lotus can be a garage queen, reserved for the best of days, trackdays and the like.

If I were maximizing practicality, I'd sell off everything but the veggie mobile, and borrow a truck when absolutely necessary.
Old 15th April 2008   #8
swivel

Alright, that makes sense.

I do understand your dilemma. If you look at my sig you'll see 3 potentially overlapping cars...And there's the ones I want to add. Oh man, we could almost make a whole new forum dedicated to fleet design and reorg.
Old 2nd July 2008   #9
hobie237

Ok, update.

Sold the red Miata.

Looks like I'll be ditching the S-10 and Mercedes in the near future as well, and parting out the bike.

Found what may be a suitable replacement truck, a 1986 (may be 1987, don't recall) Chevy K30 ex-military truck aka CUCV. No significant rust, 4WD, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto trans, 4.56 gears in a trac-lok 10.5" 14-bolt GM rear and Dana 60 front. Runs good, drives good. Plus side is that it's seriously MEAN, rated to 5/4 ton, plus helper springs added on the base, figure a minimum 3/2 ton capacity.