MazdaChat

Go Back   MazdaChat > Mazda Sport Vehicles > Mazda6

Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2008   #1
tom4416

Default Talk me into a 6

My wife's OTM has been an Accord for the last fifteen years. Dead reliable but terribly boring (to me, not necessarily to her). I'd really like to try something different when it's time for this one to go and would like her to consider a Mazda6 (MS ).

If anyone has owned both an Accord and a 6, could you give me the pros and cons of both? Reliability is her absolute top priority, mine is handling/performance for the few times a year I drive it. Thanks.

Turn off these ads?
Old 6th March 2008   #2
swivel

So, in the context of this board, I guess OTM equates to "Other Than Mazda"?
Old 6th March 2008   #3
Gary J Fischman
Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swivel View Post
So, in the context of this board, I guess OTM equates to "Other Than Mazda"?
Yup - I guess a lot of preconceived ideas will need a tweak.
Mazda-speed.com
Old 10th March 2008   #4
tom4416

Someone first coined that term in RAMM (rec.autos.mazda.miata) in about 1993/4 and it showed up on the big list on miata.net shortly thereafter. Although it stands for Other Than Miata to those of us in that world, Other Than Mazda works just as well for this forum

To sort of answer my own question, we went and drove a naturally aspirated Mazda 6 today and while I thought it handled a whole lot better than the Accord (no, a WHOLE lot better), my wife didn't like it nearly as much as her Honda. She's an aggressive driver when she's in her Miata but just kicks back in the Accord and doesn't care about handling. Guess I have to respect her choice in cars and men
Old 12th March 2008   #5
99ZoomR

Hi Tom.

My wife loves her Camry, but you'll have to endure the wrath of fellow Miataphiles if you consider getting one of "those" cars... I liked the 6, but ended up getting a CX-9 for my "kicking back" and Daddy duties. It's actually pretty fun to drive for a "station wagon"...
Old 24th March 2008   #6
swingdancr

We got a 2006 Mazda6 V6 5 speed hatchback for my wife. Racing Beat springs and sways are already on the list as the next mod.

Handles very well for a big sedan, plenty of room, nice power and deep growl with an intake. We drove the Accord first and she didn't like the way it drove. Didn't seem to have much driver feedback, and the clutch pedal was incredibly soft.
Old 21st January 2009   #7
tom4416

Sorry to bring back an old post but we're still in the market. I had an opportunity to drive an 09 6 pretty much back to back to back with Accord and Camry and from a drivers standpoint, there isn't any comparison, the 6 is a drivers car, the Accord and Camry are both really nice appliances.

Today, Mazda sent me an email with a $1000 owner loyalty bonus and owner pricing on a 6, so the price is $18.2, $3329 off MSRP. That's about where the Accord and Camry are pricing during this time of slow to no car sales. My wife has agreed to go back again this weekend and drive the 6 again so I'm hopeful.
Old 29th March 2009   #8
Nevadabob

Just picked up my '09 Mazda6 last weekend...

Kona Blue Mica, I Touring with convienince package...$21k out the door.
Closed Thread